Preparing your child for school
There are lots of things that you can do to help prepare your child for school. Here are a few ideas:
- Share stories about starting school, talk about your child's new classroom and look at photographs of class activities on our school website.
- Encourage your child to dress themselves independently in preparation for P.E. We will, of course, support the children as they get changed but it is always reassuring for them if they are able to do some of this for themselves.
- Practise fastening buttons in preparation for getting changed for P.E.
- Practise putting on a coat and fastening the zip.
- Encourage your child to develop confidence in washing their hands before meals and after independently using the toilet.
- Encourage your child to recognise their name.
- Build your child's confidence with activities such as recognising colours, shapes or numbers.
- Small things such as knowing how to open/close the fastenings on their book bag can be important to your child in those early days.